10/09/2009

Week 7's Duffy Winner/Post of the Week

Our Duffy Winner of the week was Toreka for her fantastic recount of the Cross Country race.
Because it was such a great recount it is also our post of the week. If you want to read more of Toreka's wonderful writing click on her name and it will take you to her blog.

The Ultimate Race

Jittery and jumpy, I lined up with all the other competitors. Shivers slithered down my spine. I hopped up and down full of nervous excitement. Quickly I shut my eyes and took a deep breath. “You can do this,” I whispered in my mind.

All of a sudden the clappers sounded and there were flailing arms and legs everywhere. Everyone was jostling for position, wanting to win first place. “Bajeebas, they’re fast!” I whispered to myself. I felt like my legs had turned into jelly, so wobbly.
“Come on Reka! You can do it!” said a voice in my mind. “Doesn’t matter where you come just be proud of yourself.” I had no idea who that was but it sure encouraged me.

As I passed a corner, and then another my muscles ached and mud was squelching under my feet. “You’re really close, don’t give up now,” I murmured to myself. As I gasped for breath I kept asking myself, “Am I able to continue?” My arms felt tired out, my eyes felt like they were burning.

Before long I spotted the finish line and powered ahead wanting to complete the race. I panted and wheezed as I crossed the finish line. It felt like I couldn’t breathe or feel my legs. Coming 6th didn’t matter to me. My task for this year’s cross country was to be able to complete the race no matter where I came - to be proud of the fact that I had finished it with perseverance.

By Toreka

1 comment:

Haley Mills said...

I just loved your story about your race! I am so proud of you for finishing the race. Your right you should be very proud of the fact that you finished no matter what place you came in. Your story was so great though, the adjectives you used to describe the race were just great, I felt like I was there running along with you! Great Job! Keep up the great work.

Haley Mills
United States
EDM 310